With the prolonged time we spend on our smart phones and computer screens today, its common place for us to experience; headaches, blurred vision, neck pain and fatigue.
These and more are symptoms of digital eye strain.
Consider these 7 tips to avoid digital eye strain.
- Adjust the lighting – when using your computer or smartphone it is better to keep the room softly lit.
- Take breaks – when doing close range work, take breaks occasionally and rest your eyes. Try using the 20 – 20 – 20 rule, (look twenty feet away from your computer every 20 minutes)
- Use eye drops as recommended by an eye specialist – Eye drops can prevent and relieve eye dryness cause by focusing too much on our digital screens.
- Choose the right eyewear for you – Its vital you invest in glasses or contact lenses designed specifically for computer work. You should see an optometrist to know what best would work for you.
- Blink often to refresh your eyes – Blinking produces tears that moisten and refresh your eyes. Make it a habit to blink more often when looking at a computer
- Adjust your monitor – Position your monitor directly in front of you about an arm’s length away.
- Adjust screen settings – Increase the font for easier reading; adjust the brightness and contrast to a level that is comfortable for you.